Visit Allen Hall
Allen Hall has an open day once a month on a Sunday afternoon and welcomes groups from around the diocese. These might be general parish groups, prayer groups, Confirmation groups or groups from other organisations.
Who is it for?
Visits may be arranged by parishes or other groups in the diocese. Each open day is restricted to approximately 30 people.
Open days are held, by appointment, once a month on a Sunday afternoon from 3.30pm until approximately 5.45pm.
For more information please contact the Domestic Bursar.
Tel: +44 (0)20 7349 5786 Fax: +44 (0)20 7349 5601 Email: email@example.com
Open Day Programme
The usual programme for these open days is as follows, though the seminary is able to make some special arrangements, for Confirmation groups for example.
|3.30pm||Arrival – Refreshments in the Refectory with seminarians.|
|3.45pm||Welcome and introduction by the Rector or Vice-Rector|
|4.00pm||Guided tour of Allen Hall, led by seminarians.|
|4.30pm||Adoration in the Chapel to pray for vocations and the seminary.|
|5.15pm||Solemn Vespers and Benediction with the Allen Hall community.|
After a cup of tea and a chance to talk to members of the formation team and several seminarians, our visitors are given a tour of Allen Hall. As well as having the opportunity to see where seminarians live, tours of Allen Hall are also a great history lesson. The seminary was founded in France in 1568, where men trained to go “on mission” to England, and many were subsequently martyred for their faith. The seminary then moved to England in 1793 to Old Hall Green, in Hertfordshire and nearly two hundred years later moved into London to its current site in Chelsea.
The present location of Allen Hall is also rich in history. Here, on the bank of the Thames, was situated the estate owned by Saint Thomas More, where he lived as Chancellor, and from where he was taken to the Tower of London to be executed. On the tour groups are able to see the famous mulberry tree said to have been planted at the time he lived in the house.
From the late nineteenth century the building in which we now reside was the convent of the Adoration Réparatrice Sisters who were committed to perpetual adoration of the Blessed Sacrament. With this history in mind, our chapel is dedicated to the Blessed Sacrament and Saint Thomas More, and it is very appropriate that we finish our afternoons together with time in front of the Blessed Sacrament dedicating our prayers for vocations to the priesthood and consecrated life. We conclude our time of prayer with sung Solemn Vespers and Benediction.
These afternoons are a wonderful opportunity for visitors from parishes both to see the diocesan seminary and to meet some of their future priests. It is also a chance for us to welcome people from across the diocese to our home and join with them in prayer for more men to join us at Allen Hall.